Friday 9 March 2012

Life is like a box of chocolates....

Pre- motherhood I spent many an evening enjoying the latest releases at the cinema or working my way through the dvd rental chart.
I've always loved films. Growing up I'd regularly cosy up with my folks and my big brother with a bag of sweets and enjoy a couple of hours of entertainment. When I was a teenager, dates or nights out with friends often consisted of a trip to the pictures. Whilst at university I actually went to see the first Lord of the Rings film twice - I can't remember what it feels like to have that much time on your hands??


When it comes to genres I have to say I'm more into thrillers than rom coms. I like 'classic horror' compared to  a lot of the over the top gory horror films that are made these days. There isn't a genre that I don't like to be honest, I've seen some great Westerns (Tombstone is a classic), Sci-fi (Minority Report was great) and fantasy films (obviously a Lord of the Rings fan). 



When it comes to actors my favourite without a doubt is Leonardo Dicaprio. I swooned over him as Jack Dawson in Titanic when I was a teenager but since then I think he has had such an amazing acting career (and he's still only 38 years old). I have honestly never been disappointed by a film he's starred in. My favourite Leo film is still Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, who wouldn't fall for that Romeo! Other great Leo films are: Gangs of New York; Catch me if you can, The Departed; Blood Diamond and Shutter Island





Being a Mum certainly reduces the number of hours available for film watching so apart from Leo films here are some of my must sees: 


  • Ridley Scott's Gladiator -  What's not to love about this film? My all time favourite. Beautiful cinematography, fantastic powerful acting including that of the undeniably sexy Joaquin Phoenix. A dramatic story about loyalty and revenge that has brought me to tears many a time.
  • Robert Zemeckis's Forrest Gump - What a heart wrenching story. Tom Hanks is so believable as the intelligently challenged Forrest. His character goes to war, becomes a millionaire, runs across the country, becomes a ping pong star and meets the president on several occasions and yet his thoughts are always on his home and his childhood sweetheart. Waterproof mascara definitely needed for this film. 
  • Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge - This is a compelling, exciting and fun musical. Nicole Kidman and Ewan Mcgregor make a great couple and are fantastic singers. All round entertainment.
  • Gillian Armstrong's Little Women - Girly films aren't often at the top of my list but I absolutely love this one. Full of strong female characters I love the bond portrayed between the sisters and their 'Marmee'. The book is fantastic and the film definitely does it justice. A young Christian Bale is an added bonus!
  • Wes Craven's Scream - Classic horror at its finest. The sequels were a real let down but the first Scream film will always be a favourite of mine. Genuinely terrifying I remember watching this film when I was younger and not being able to sleep (When I say younger I actually mean last week!) 





I've just realised that I haven't mentioned any comedies which makes me sound very serious and miserable. Comedies are a fantastic remedy for a low mood and my husband and I have giggled away time and again at some very silly films. Anything with Will Ferrell gets my vote, Old School and Anchor Man are particularly ridiculous and hilarious at the same time. 


I also haven't mentioned any of the Twilight films here because I know for a fact that they aren't the best films ever made (rather large understatement). However, I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a massive fan of both the films and the books. I love a bit of vampire fiction (why not eh!) and these films have provided such solace when I'm feeling like an over-worked, over-stressed and over tired Mummy! 


I'd love to hear what some of your favourite films are and if you agree/disagree with any of my choices? 

No comments:

Post a Comment